Friday, July 19, 2019

July 18 & 19

My goodness, the weather is again being very erratic.  The temps have been in the 70's & 80's - in July on the Palouse!!! - and the winds of autumn are already blowing.  I can't smell autumn yet, but what a strange thing.
I have all of the cherries processed, but for the ones we left for fresh eating (in the frig).  I canned 24 Qts and have 9 trays in my food dryer.  The dry cherries are good in granola, to put in oatmeal as raisin sub, or to just eat by themselves.
Today (19) I'm thawing out the big freezer - it's the one that was left open a crack and got all iced up inside.  One can't tell what is in there, so there you have it - NEEDED.
I plan to sort out the old fruit for jam and jellies as I put things back.  There are some old ones in there, but I don't want them to go to waste.  They are not spoiled, but will have lost some of their quality and with all that sugar in the preserves (even the low sugar ones) it will not be noticed.
I'm still chugging along on the Tour de Fleece - I have spun each day, even the rest days.  On the spindle one doesn't get a large volume, but it is so relaxing and I need some of that to make me notice the pain in my hip, knee & ankle less.
I took a photo of some berries that I picked yesterday - there is not a tremendous amount, but lots of variety: strawberries, raspberries, black caps (black raspberries), & Cascade berries (a wild blackberry/raspberry cross).

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen