Monday, August 16, 2010

It was a very fun time....

we had a great potluck - there was such lovely food, LOL. Then we went over to Lee's skirting table and got busy with the fleeces. There were 4 BIG bags of llama fleece! There was white, brown and black to choose between. I chose black and brown. We had to remove LOTS of veggie matter first - the animals had not been coated and since the shearing was sort of an emergency thing - they had been sheared when brought into the vet center - we weren't told why they were in the center, just that they had to be sheared. The black was from an older animal and was a longer fleece, but the brown was from a first-time shear and was shorter and softer. It took me a while to get out as much trash as I could, and then put it into a couple of mesh bags; it was then submerged into hot water (gently, gently) and soaked for an half an hour or so. The bags were removed and drained until the temperature had reached that of the rinse water - no shocking of the fiber! We then submerged the bags in 2 rinses & drained - that was what was available at the farm & after I took the bags home I rinsed three times more until water ran clear. The bags are hanging from my clothesline and I will take the fiber out when I get home and spread it to dry.

After I am done at the eye doctor AND after the dialator has worn off I need to can beans and make pickles. The produce is beginning to come in, LOL - HURRAH!!!

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen