Sunday, October 23, 2011

Another jam-packed weekend

The big 'D' was here this weekend, we picked him up on Friday and I took him home this morning. While he was here we were REALLY busy. The list of accomplishments is pretty long, too. We got in the last shopping day at the Farmer's Market, getting some squashes and some late fruit, we bought groceries, some wool to make 'grampa' some felted slippers and an electric water dish for the chicken's winter water. Then we came home and after putting away the purchases we started on our sewing lesson.
He learned about how the machine operates and how to thread it & put in a bobbin. Some elementary seam stitching followed and then he went outside to play with the neighbor boy, while 'grams' started a veggie harvesting / 'puttin up' marathon.
I dug carrots and beets, then froze the greens and after cleaning put the beet roots and the carrots in sealed containers in the outside refrigerator. After that I went out and picked the rest of the ground cherries and husked the ones that looked mature enough to ripen. I'm going to try to make some ground cherry / pineapple preserves later on - right now I just freeze the ripe ones in a sugar syrup.
Then today, 'tP' had to go down to WallaWalla as he had forgotten his ladder and his coffee filter holder at the friend's trailer, so the big 'D' & I worked a bit more on some sewing and I took him back to his dad's house. His mom was out hunting - something she really likes to do - and would pick him up later.
I came back home, made bread & rolls, picked all of the ripe raspberries that I could find (they really are not sweet due to lack of warm weather, so I will just make jam with them, adding sugar to sweeten) and then cut back the canes & tied them up for winter. NOW THAT IS A BIG JOB! After that I picked all of the apples, putting the wind falls & the wormy ones in a bucket to make applesauce this week and the good ones in a box to join the carrots & beets in the refrigerator. They will make pies, crisps, & dumplings later in the year.
There's still a list "as long as my arm" of chores to do for end-of-year prep, but it will be continued later.
Next week I go to Puerto Rico for the annual "bean meetings", so will have to fit that sort of thing in during the week and then the following weekend.
I am working on some little mitten ornaments to give as gifts for Christmas and then there are the felted slippers for 'tP' that I previously noted, not to mention the SFS socks and all the other UFO's that are in the pipeline.
Oh boy, I can't wait for retirement - maybe, just maybe I'll have a bit slower pace then.

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen