Saturday, August 31, 2013

More end of summer adventures

Harvesting, cleaning up & generally preparing the "homestead" for the autumn & winter seasons.

We got some "wild" pears to add to the harvest from our trees and I am waiting until they are ready to can.  Today we purchased peaches to can and I am planning to make some dill pickles and can some green beans. 

Yesterday I butchered one of my old hens to put into the freezer for chicken & dumplings later on in the cold season.  I am thinking of thinning down the flock to just 3 chickens since I no longer have any egg customers and we get more than enough eggs for our own use.  Next time we get chickens I'm only getting 3!

Some more house cleaning & work around the place to do.  So for now it's back to work.

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen