Thursday, November 02, 2017

Today I introduce something new

along with my daily - well, I really do try, LOL - dose of what is happening here, I want to give some hints at frugal living.
I know there are lots of them (how to save "a bajillion" in your life) out there, but lots do not really address what I consider a "real" way to look at how one lives.  That idea comprises where does one live, what stores, etc. are available to one, how does one's family handle repairs, etc. and trying to tailor one's frugality to the way one really lives.  That is probably not all of the things contained in this idea, but it's a start.
For example, I don't do "couponing" as the things that I buy rarely, if ever, have coupons.  I do look at the ads for the stores in my area, but, since we live in a rather rural area there are not many of the stores available to folks who live in or near urban areas.  I also tend to buy only quality items and don't go for cheap - it is more cost containing in the long run.  This means I often have to "save up" for some items.  I also buy, when I am able, only food items that I know from where it comes and I try to use locally produced things, too.  We are environmentally and resource conscious in this household, so that affects what we consume, too.
All-in-all, I want to address how we approach the frugal life in an earth-loving & protecting way.

So, the first installment is about my latest "coop-de-gras" in the cooking area.  I had purchased some beef stew meat (from local sourced grass-fed beef), about 1/2 a pound.  I made for supper on Tuesday beef stew containing potatoes & carrots from our garden, canned green beans (grown here, too), some nice onions that had been "donated" (when neighbors or ourselves have extra produce we leave boxes in our post office with the "help yourself" sign), and some of my homegrown garlic, too.  
I always make at least enough to have "leftovers" the next day.  This time, though, after the leftover night there was still some left.  Not enough for another meal, so I had to become creative.  
Now, I don't know if you like stuffed peppers, but we do !  I had purchased some peppers from one of the organic growers who come to our local farmer's market (& last week was the end of the market for this year).  Now, it occured to me that the way I make stuffed peppers could be modified to use my leftover stew.  I cooked up an half cup of lovely brown basmati rice, chopped up the leftover potatoes & carrots in the stew, mixed in the rice & stuffed the peppers.  There was just enough to fill the 2 peppers and have a little bit left to put in the bottom of the pan to support the peppers as they bake.  
I plan to serve them with some green salad & some of our home-canned fruit for dessert.

The next installment of "the frugal life of regular folks" will include some information about holiday gifts I plan to make this year.  All in the light of trying to reduce our "stuff" around here and to give love with the gifts for our family.

Have a wonderful autumn day - it's still pleasant here, but the cold is in the forecast.

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen