Thursday, May 04, 2023

May 4, 2023 (May the fourth be with you)

 OK, 

L O N G time between writing. Health issues and general life got in the way. I’m still dealing with the health issues-that’s what I get from getting old, but beats the alternative (as my late mum used to say).

We’re finally getting warmer weather, and as per usual here on the Palouse it goes from freezing you *** off to cooking it in two days. All the trees are doing their best to leaf out and bloom in a hurry, birds are nesting, flowers blooming , and docM the gardener trying to get the veg & flowers in before it’s so hot one just can’t do it. And it’s difficult to do when one has to work in short intervals with many rest periods between projects. So far I’ve spinach, kale & kohlrabi seeds in; have put in 1/3 of planned potatoes and the garlic & shallots planted last fall are coming up quite well. I have to get the peas in ASAP and the rest of the potatoes so can get to the later crops as it’s time to get them in around here.

We got new baby chicks as were down to only two hens-thank neighborhood dogs whose owners don’t understand lease laws apparently. This year I got some bantams so I’ll have a hen who’ll get broody & we can hatch our own chicks-I’ll buy fertile eggs from someone who can keep roosters.  I also got some replacements for my daughter’s flock as they had a skunk get into their hens.

I’m doing my best to get back to being healthy and staying there by sticking to the “heart healthy rules & regs”. Plus I’ve been having to deal with some pain issues due to deterioration of my spine and discs therein-let me tell you that “ain’t” easy either; me being the “wuss” that I am, it’s not easy learning to live with constant pain. My doc has recommended me for some ameliorating activities, but they are just getting set up, so not sure when or if they will help.

 

1 comment:

Scooquilt said...

Best of luck to you with your pain. Yes, growing older is proving to be an adventure. Spring is still fun. I'm planting fewer things, but focusing on what we'll eat and what grows well here in Ohio.

Take care, Valerie

drMolly, the BeanQueen