Thursday, September 28, 2017

continuing Thoughts on Thursday

More getting ready for the cold season.  the DD & family helped the kids get wood for their heat this winter (she has a pellet stove for heat,so does not use wood) - they got over 11 cord so should be PLENTY.

The gardens are all empty and the mister roto-tilled the two flat ones so I can get the largest weeds out so as to try to control weeds better next year - some of the rotten buggers can over-winter and you are left with huge plants ready to spread seed early.
The beets & carrots are stored for winter.  I learned a valuable lesson about carrots this year.  DO NOT TRANSPLANT CARROTS!  I had only done  a few in the past so I guess I did not notice.  But this year I started them inside as the spring weather was so bad it was difficult to work outside.  
ALL of the carrots had multiple roots, were twisty and contorted.  It is going to be difficult to use them easily.  I looked up answers and found that carrots should only be direct seeded because if the roots are disturbed, ie. during transplant, they will form many branches from the main root.  
Now who would have known? and I have gardened for decades and never knew.  Goes to show one ALWAYS is learning.

I'm working on quilts, shawls, mother bears, and a Halloween costume for msH.  I got some new patterns and plan to do some garment sewing, too.  I want some new dresses and I got a cute pattern for msH, too.

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen