Monday, August 03, 2020

August 3, 2020

We have had a series of very hot days - about two weeks now - that is wrecking havoc with the gardens.  I’ve been watering nearly every day to keep things from burning up.  The peas got in just under the wire and we got three pickings; one to eat with new potatoes & two for the freezer.  There has been 2 cucumbers, but I’m hoping the heat does not kill the blossoms.  Also, thankfully, the beans started to bloom before so there are real bean pods setting & not just those empty sickle pods that set when the heat kills the pollen.  
Yesterday I canned 5 jars of snap beans from our garden & froze some more faba beans that I had purchased from the farmer’s market.
I also harvested all the rest of my cabbage heads before we went camping last week (yes, in the extreme heat) and stored them in our garage refrigerator.
Unfortunately while we were gone the birds ate all the black caps & some of the Cascade berries too.  The heat is drying up the rest of the Cascades, so it’s a good thing there was a really big harvest last year.
Soon it’ll be plum harvest & then early pear harvest.  It’s that time of the year.

No comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen